Alaska boasts a lot of superlatives: biggest state, tallest North American mountain, highest concentration of glaciers. But another tends to get attached to Anchorage: best.
- Travel + Leisure named Alaska's Coast as one of the top 50 places to visit in 2021.
- Resonance Cosulting put Anchorage at number six in a nationwide ranking of America’s Best Small Cities in 2020.
- Expedia named Anchorage one of the "most tourist-friendly cities" in 2018.
- National Geographic Traveler named Anchorage one of its “Best of the World” destinations in 2017.
- Outside Magazine called Anchorage the "Best City for making the most of summer" in July 2017.
- TripAdvisor ran the numbers in 2017 and put Anchorage on its list of affordable summer trips in the west.
- Expedia named Anchorage one of the "15 Best Places to Experience American Culture."
- Bicycling Magazine hailed Anchorage’s trail system as one of the best in the U.S.
- Anchorage was listed at No. 16 in Runner’s World’s “The Best Running Cities in America.”
- The American Hiking Society agrees, naming Anchorage second on a list of Top Trail Towns.
- The National Civic League recognized Anchorage as an All-America City in 1956, 1965, 1984, and 2002.
Accolades don’t end at the city limits either.
- The Glenn Highway and the Seward Highway leading out of Anchorage are each designated as National Scenic Byways.
- Girdwood – part of the municipality – was recognized by SmarterTravel.com as one of “10 Great Mountain Towns.”
- Alyeska Resort got the nod from Travel + Leisure as one of America’s Best Ski Hotels.
- Australia’s Daily Telegraph newspaper also marked Alyeska as one of the top 10 up-and-coming ski resorts in the world.