Alaska boasts a lot of superlatives: biggest state, tallest North American mountain, highest concentration of glaciers. But another tends to get attached to Anchorage: best.
- Conde Nast put Anchorage at the top of its list as part of 23 Places to Go in 2023.
- Anchorage is No. 37 on Fortune’s 2023 Best Places to Live for Families - which looked at 1,900 U.S. communities.
- Anchorage is in the top of the pack on WalletHub's list of Happiest Cities in America, 2023.
- Livability ranked Anchorage as a Best City to Live in the USA - No. 23 in 2023.
- Buzzfeed's 2023 list of underrated cities includes Anchorage, with an anonymous commenter adding "It has the perfect mix of city and nature."
- In 2022, Lonely Planet called Anchorage "America’s ultimate winter adventure-land."
- Travel + Leisure named Alaska's Coast as one of the top 50 places to visit in 2021.
- Resonance Consulting put Anchorage at number six in a nationwide ranking of America’s Best Small Cities in 2020.
- Expedia named Anchorage one of the "15 Best Places to Experience American Culture."
- Bicycling Magazine hailed Anchorage’s trail system as one of the best in the U.S.
- The National Civic League recognized Anchorage as an All-America City in 1956, 1965, 1984, and 2002.
Accolades don’t end at the edge of Anchorage, either.
- The Glenn Highway and the Seward Highway leading out of Anchorage are each designated as National Scenic Byways.
- With many trips departing the Anchorage depot, the Alaska Railroad arrived at number 18 on the New York Times' list of 52 places to visit in 2023.
- AFAR's "Ultimate Alaska Roadtrip" begins and ends in Anchorage.
- Girdwood – part of the municipality – was recognized by SmarterTravel.com as one of "10 Great Mountain Towns."
- Alyeska Resort got the nod from Travel + Leisure as one of America’s Best Ski Hotels.