North by North Festival
Date: May 12, 2017 - May 14, 2017
- Times: Times vary, see Description
- Location: Anchorage Museum, Dena'ina Center
Anchorage hosts activities celebrating the state’s Arctic. Together, these events form North by North—an introduction to and reclaiming of Arctic innovation, resilience and sustainability. Each is driven by local and public participation, spanning the circumpolar North. Public events include:
Friday, May 12
- Innovate Arctic is a full day of TED style talks from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- The Arctic Film Festival at the Anchorage Museum will showcase short films that highlight activities that governments, organizations, communities and individuals are engaging in to make their northern communities more vibrant. Showtimes from 9 to 11:45 p.m.
Saturday, May 13
- Held at the Dena’ina Center in downtown Anchorage, the Arts Crafts & Culture Expo will include artisans, craftspeople and vendors from eight northern nations. They will sell or exchange their merchandise to participants from around the state and Alaska’s largest city. 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Chefs from Arctic countries team up with local Anchorage food truck vendors to recreate their favorite meals from Canada, Greenland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland and Russia. Each pairing will include a different approach to wild Alaska salmon, and one other dish using northern, locally sourced ingredients. The Anchorage Museum hosts the event from 4 to 8 p.m.
- Alaska’s North by North Arctic Dance Party features the most exciting DJs from the eight Arctic nations at performances at the Anchorage Museum from 6 to 11:45 p.m.
Sunday, May 14
- The final day of North by North culminates with the Arts, Crafts & Culture Expo at the Dena'ina CEnter from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.