Downtown Summer Solstice Festival and 9th Annual Hero Games
- Date: Jun 17, 2017
- Times: Noon - 6 p.m.; Hero Games Noon - 3 p.m.
- Admission: Free
- Location: Fourth Avenue and Town Square
Alaskans celebrate the longest day of the year in Town Square and surrounding streets with tons of events packed into one sweet celebration. Live musical performances keep downtown hopping until the sun goes down, a tall order on a day with 22 hours of functional daylight. The festival is a great opportunity to bask in the sun and watch or participate in fun events like:
- The Hero Games, a friendly competition between Alaska's first responders charging through obstacle courses, bucket brigades and different relays. Law enforcement, each military branch and the fire department participate
- The Children's Rainbow Factory, which includes puppet shows, a kayak pool, and giant sandbox, just to name a few
- The Teen Pro Skateboarding Demo, showcasing skateboard skills from professional skateboarders and local team members
Learn more about how Anchorage celebrates summer solstice.