Company Description: Visit Sitka, a part of the Greater Sitka Chamber of Commerce, is a private, non-profit marketing organization serving Sitka under a city contract for destination marketing organization (DMO) services. Through our efforts, we work to market and develop Sitka as a destination, focusing on convention sales, tourism and visitor services.
Position Title: Director of Tourism
Job Description: The Sitka Chamber and Visit Sitka office is looking for a leader who understands promoting local business, public relations, and community development. The Director of Visit Sitka is responsible for a comprehensive program of destination management and visitor experiences. We are a small and very busy collaborative office with many programs constantly in progress. This position works with the Executive Director to enhance and maintain Sitka’s reputation as a premier year-round destination and desirable community to live and conduct business. We are a small nonprofit organization located in Sitka, Alaska on the west coast of Baranof Island facing the Pacific Ocean. Our community of about 8,500 human residents shares the area with eagles, bears, all five species of salmon, whales, sea lions, sea otters and so many more species of animals. Located amid the Tongass National Forest, Sitka is only accessible by air and water – no roads reach us, but our main road in town stretches 14 miles from end to end. Sitka is a place of great natural beauty, a warm welcoming community, and instant access to nature steps from your front door. Our historic downtown offers locally owned shops and businesses that support Sitka’s artists, makers, and eateries. Sitka’s commercial airlines offer daily flights to Seattle, Juneau, and Anchorage, making Sitka easily accessible for visitors and for you to explore.
• Manage and lead Sitka’s visitor industry through effective use of strategic planning, leadership skills, community assets, financial acuity, industry knowledge and relationships, and evolving best practices.
• Build and develop strong relationships and open communication with partners, external stakeholders, community members and the City & Borough of Sitka (CBS).
• Manage, direct and train staff and volunteers ensuring Visit Sitka brand consistency and service excellence. Destination Development & Promotion
• Along with the Executive Director, develop a multi-year strategic marketing plan and annual work plan with input from Visit Sitka (VS) partners and CBS.
• Implement destination marketing plan including placement of advertising, social media marketing, website development and collateral materials ensuring consistent brand message to targeted audiences.
• In coordination with contractors and VS staff, produce, curate, and distribute the annual Visit Sitka Magazine and destination collateral through a variety of mediums.
• Promote Sitka for year-round meetings, conventions and events and ensure VS programs are in place to provide services and support for these groups.
• With the Executive Director, serve as the 'voice and face' of Visit Sitka, through public appearances and one-on-one meetings with partners and general public such as serving on industry related task force and committees.
• Serve as liaison for media including media and image requests, press releases, media kits and visiting media tours.
• Work with state, federal, and city legislators to communicate and lobby for the needs of the visitor industry and Visit Sitka partners.
• Cultivate relationships cruise sector business, convention planners, travel trade, and destination yacht travel.
• Represent Visit Sitka in industry and statewide organizations and related committees.
• Regularly attend community events and CBS Assembly and commission meetings. Administrative & Supervisory
• Track benchmarks, measurement targets, marketing ROI, KPI, ongoing industry stats for economic development usage and other reporting metrics as directed.
• Assist with development and explanation of annual Visit Sitka program budget, quarterly financial reporting, and annual Scope of Services report to CBS.
• Direct administrative, operating, sales & marketing functions of Visit Sitka including training and professional development of staff and volunteers.
• Coordinate meetings and engage industry partners in various initiatives and programs. • Attend Sitka Chamber Board Meetings as requested by Executive Director.
• Any other duties as assigned by the Executive Director in support of Visit Sitka and the Sitka Chamber. Requirements Education &
• Minimum of a bachelor's degree in a related field, or a combination of education and progressively increased work responsibility in an office setting.
• Working knowledge of Alaska visitor industry; with ability to learn quickly about Sitka, Alaska visitor sector and businesses.
• Experience with destination marketing, public relations, and visitor management preferred. Skills & Abilities • Strong background in team leadership, relationship management, and possess top customer service and organization skills.
• Advanced software proficiency is required, but not limited to Microsoft Office, desktop publishing, Adobe, WordPress, and with the ability to learn software quickly.
• Willing and able to promote Visit Sitka at local, regional, state, national and possibly international travel industry specific meetings, conventions, sales missions, and tradeshows by various means of transportation.
• Possess knowledge of meeting, event, and conference planning procedures.
• Must be a self-starter who can function independently and lead a team environment, willing to “jump in” as needed to support the projects and deadlines of the organization.
• Ability to deal effectively with the public in a professional manner, with discretion and supporting the confidentiality of the organization and its members and partners.
• Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills.
• Valid driver’s license; reliable use of dependable, insured vehicle; and good driving record.
• Ability to walk, reach, stoop, bend and lift/carry up to 35 lbs.
• Some weekends, additional hours, and public holiday work may be required based on meeting/convention/holiday schedules.
Open until: 01/01/2025
Starting Wage: $58,000 - $65,000
Benefits May Include: Paid leave
Submission Instructions: Submit resume, three professional references and cover letter to Rachel Roy at firstname.lastname@example.org. First applicant review is October 2nd, 2023. Position will remain open until filled. Anticipated start date is January 2024. For more information contact the Sitka Chamber at (907) 747-8604.