Visit Anchorage is hiring in our Shared Services Department. The Administrative Specialist is someone who specializes in “everything”. Join a fast-paced team that supports all departments within the organization to help reach our main aim of attracting and serving visitors to the Municipality of Anchorage.
The variety of this position is vast, from figuring out how to ship an Iditarod winner’s dog sled to a trade show in Nashville, to assisting with events, to helping an incoming conference with their requests, making reservations for activities and hotels; to entering data, packaging shipments, greeting visitors to our office and more.
Must be energetic, flexible, and have the ability to organize, prioritize and get it done on time, all with a smile. To apply please submit a cover letter and your resume, both in a .pdf format, to firstname.lastname@example.org
In accordance with Visit Anchorage's mission, this position works under the direct supervision of the Shared Services Manager to assist with bureau-wide administrative tasks and support special projects and events.
Essential Job Functions:
Assist, coordinate, manage or lead the planning and execution of the following:
- Familiarization tours: creates itineraries, solicits in-kind donations from members, and communicates with attendees and participants
- Services and maintains sold convention accounts: communicates with meeting planners and clients to determine and execute fulfillment of their convention services needs
- Registration services: On-boards and schedules part-time registration assistants for booked conventions
- Support events including: annual Seymour Awards, monthly membership luncheons, Business Exchanges, Open House and other events and programs.
- Assist all departments with administrative tasks such as word processing, spreadsheets, filing, generating reports, preparation of mailings, compiling sales packets/kits and follow up
- Simpleview data management including data entry, quality control, and RSVP management
Work and assist as needed in the following areas:
- Reception (visitors, pickups and deliveries, incoming phone calls)
- Process incoming and outgoing mail including assembling and packaging materials
- Monitor, order and stock office supplies
- Assist staff with basic computer hardware and software tasks employed by Visit Anchorage
- Provide assistance with office equipment/furniture needs
- Assist with general upkeep of office building maintenance and repairs
- Keep common areas of the building neat and organized
- Assist with organizing, gathering, and maintaining recycling efforts
- Assist with upkeep of company vehicle
- Run errands with the company vehicle
- Manage warehouse and/or storage needs, track inventory and fulfill product transfers, and provide courier services for departments
- Populate and maintain Calendar of Events on anchorage.net
- Contribute to the annual plan, execute and practice budget control for specific projects as assigned
- Model the Visit Anchorage Core Values in the performance of all job functions
- Perform other related duties as assigned
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
- Some higher education or professional accreditation and/or three or more years of relevant experience in the convention/tourism industry, event planning, production and skills in a tourism focused and/or membership driven organization or other relevant experience
- Knowledge of varied requirements and characteristics of client base including Visit Anchorage members and local and regional business
- Advanced computer skills including working knowledge of MS Windows, MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, etc.) Simpleview database software, or other relevant software
- Excellent communication skills, including ability to deal with people and provide excellent customer service
- Advanced written communication skills to compose, edit and proof correspondence and reports
- Working knowledge of, and ability to work with vendors on basic troubleshooting for standard office equipment
- Effective time management skills, organizational skills, self-motivation, flexibility, and ability to assist with multiple projects and anticipate needs of all departments
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and handle complex tasks with minimal supervision
- Ability to type 45 wpm with accuracy
- Work requires a valid Alaska driver’s license
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit for extended periods of time, stand and walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must lift and/or move up to 50 pounds on a regular basis. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus. Position requires the ability to carrying and lift equipment and materials (approx. 50 lbs.), assembling equipment, and packing needed materials.
- Work environment: The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified. The incumbent must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and demands and to seek supervisory assistance as appropriate.
To apply download and complete the application PDF file and send your resume and cover letter to Nedra Anderson by email at email@example.com or mail to 142 West Fifth Avenue, Anchorage, Alaska 99501.