In accordance with the Visit Anchorage mission, this position works under the direct supervision of the VP of Tourism Development & Sales. Promotes Anchorage as a visitor destination with emphasis on fall, winter, and spring through Visit Anchorage marketing and sales plans. Works independently exercising initiative, judgment and common sense to complete job responsibilities professionally and within Visit Anchorage guidelines.
To apply, download and complete the application and send with your resume and cover letter to Nedra Anderson by email at email@example.com or mail to 524 West Fourth Avenue, Anchorage, Alaska 99501.
Essential Job Functions:
- Contributes to TDS annual marketing plan and is responsible for initiation, execution and budget control for specific projects
- Manages preparation for and participation in travel industry and consumer travel shows, educational seminars and sales calls, with responsibility for prompt and accurate follow-up
- Attains Visit Anchorage member partnership in joint promotion efforts
- Negotiates and finalizes contracts for shows, seminar venues and functions, collateral materials and transportation
- Coordinates, hosts, and escorts travel trade familiarization/educational trips to Anchorage and South central Alaska
- Creates and develops tools to assist travel trade in marketing Anchorage (Newsletters, directories, collaterals, training programs, power point presentations, webinars, etc.)
- Acts as a liaison between Visit Anchorage members and travel trade to book business; creates and develops marketing tools, leads and educational opportunities for Visit Anchorage members
- Develops and maintains communications and cooperative marketing with other destination marketing organizations and local, state, national and international travel trade organizations to market Anchorage and South central Alaska
- Serves on local committees whose object is to promote Anchorage as a destination, and other committees to promote tourism in general
- Assists with development and management of the travel trade pages on Visit Anchorage’s website(s)
- Maintains detailed, accurate, and updated files in department database and filing system
- Models the Visit Anchorage Core Values in the performance of all job functions
- Performs other related duties as assigned
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
- College degree or some higher education and in-depth marketing/sales/management experience
- Professional accreditation/work experience in the tourism marketing industry with exposure to destination marketing techniques
- Ability to deal with the public and customer service experience
- Destination product knowledge
- Advanced computer skills with major emphasis on procedure development and file maintenance including working knowledge of MS Windows, MS Office 2007 (or later) and Simple View database software (or similar)
- Working knowledge of, and ability to perform basic troubleshooting for, standard office equipment including, fax machines, phones, copier, and scanners
- Ability to type 45 wpm with accuracy
- Ability to sort/index files for input, sitting at a computer terminal, vision acuity to read reports
- High standard of accuracy, reasoning and problem-solving skills for maximum efficiency
- Ability to make independent travel arrangements at best cost/time use to Bureau
- Proven flexibility in managing multiple projects
- Demonstrated effective time management skills
- Demonstrated commitment to making trade show follow-up a first priority
- Experience in international sales and relevant language skills preferred
- Complex people interaction and sales/marketing skills to book business including direct, indirect and telemarketing
- Oral communication skills to speak one-on-one and to groups, making presentations on Anchorage as a destination and about Visit Anchorage
- Advanced written communication skills to compose, edit and proofread business correspondence and reports
- In-depth knowledge of varied requirements of client base including internal staff, domestic and international travel trade, Visit Anchorage members, local community, etc.
- Experience traveling to promote Anchorage to consumers and travel trade
- Work requires a valid driver’s license
- Ability to obtain a passport
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit for extended periods of time, stand and walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus. Position requires the ability to fly (economy) for long distances, carrying and lifting luggage and promotional materials (approx. 50 lbs.), standing at trade shows, assembling trade show display and display area, and packing needed materials.
- Work environment: The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified. The incumbent must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and demands and to seek supervisory assistance as appropriate.