In accordance with Visit Anchorage’s mission, this position works under the direct supervision of the Human Resources Manager to provide office-wide administrative support and serve as the front line contact with clients, members, vendors, visitors, and the general public.
To apply, download and complete the application and send with your resume and cover letter to Nedra Anderson by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to 524 West Fourth Avenue, Anchorage, Alaska 99501.
Essential Job Functions:
- Greet the public, answer the front desk switchboard, screen calls to route correctly, record accurate messages, occasionally answer information inquiries
- Administer telephone system; train staff on phone/switchboard usage, voice mail, reception procedures and etiquette for reception coverage
- Trouble shoot phone system problems
- Sort, prepare, and route incoming mail daily and maintain the mail cart
- Prepare and apply postage to outgoing mail daily including high volume of accounting statements, invoices, and payments
- Record daily entries of visitor inquiry data and print out labels for recipient members
- Route Visitor Guide advertising contracts to CMVR and Accounting specifications
- Assist Accounting with logging checks that are received from members, vendors, etc
- Provide companywide administrative support as requested/available (i.e. Visitor Industry Charity Walk, Open House, MMLs, Cruise Ship BBQ, etc.)
- Assist Executive Assistant with clerical needs for Board meeting preparation as requested
- Transcribe minutes of BSM, put on shared drive, and distribute via email to all staff
- Maintain Storage Room, monitor and keep supplies organized, order items needed. Respond to office supply needs for easy retrieval and inventory
- Monitor and purchase office supplies for all Bureau staff
- Assist with the creation of shopping list for kitchen and general office supply needs
- Maintain professional appearance of reception area, loading dock, and lobby
- Prepare payables for monthly parking permits; logs and distribute permits
- Assemble, prepare, package, and label convention service materials as requested for pick-up and delivery
- Coordinate with Courier and Warehouse for items to be delivered and sent to/and from customers
- Attend to the reception area to perform duties Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., with the exceptions of an established lunch hour and occasional breaks as needed
- Processes general deliveries and pick-ups; maintain tracking system for accountability
- Model the Visit Anchorage Core Values in the performance of all job functions
- Performs other related duties as assigned
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
- Completion of high school degree and at least two years of experience in a customer service driven receptionist position using a multi-line switchboard or equivalent experience
- Excellent communication skills, including abilities to deal with the public and provide excellent customer service
- Advanced computer skills with a major emphasis on file management including working knowledge of MS Windows, MS Office 2007 (or later)
- Working knowledge of, and ability to perform basic troubleshooting for, standard office equipment including, fax machines, phones, copier, and scanners
- Ability to type 40 wpm with accurate data entry
- Ability to sort and index files for input, ability to sit at a computer, and vision acuity to read reports
- Demonstrated effective time management skills, organizational skills, self-motivation, flexibility, and ability to manage multiple projects
- Work requires the ability to read, write, and interpret materials in order to perform job duties
- Analytical ability necessary to exercise sound judgment and handle complex tasks with minimal supervision
- Strong organizational skills to manage multiple priorities and anticipate the administrative needs of others
- In-depth understanding of Bureau operations, policies and procedures to regularly assume a broad variety of complex tasks
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit for extended periods of time, stand and walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus. Position requires the ability to lift luggage and promotional materials (approx. 50 lbs.), stand for long periods at events, assemble event displays and display areas, and pack materials.
- Work environment: The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. May be exposed to extreme weather or climate while traveling and performing other duties.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified. The incumbent must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and demands and to seek supervisory assistance as appropriate.