In accordance with Visit Anchorages’ mission, this position works under the direct supervision of the Vice President, Member & Destination Services (M&DS) and provides assistance to the Membership and Advertising Sales Representatives and Visitor Services Director. This position coordinates and assists with various events, programs, and visitor relations.
To apply, download and complete the application and send with your resume and cover letter to Nedra Anderson by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to 524 West Fourth Avenue, Anchorage, Alaska 99501.
Essential Job Functions:
- This position requires people interaction skills, heavy public contact, and ability to work with numerous personalities, crowds and pressure
- Management of Visit Anchorage Critter mascots
- Work in Visitor Information Centers as needed
- Responsible for various warehouse tasks which include delivering boxes of brochures, inventory of items stored, organizing designated areas of the warehouse for the department
- Excellent oral communication skills to speak and make presentations one-on-one and to groups of visitors, volunteers and other groups
- Duties require good written communication skill to compose, edit and proof correspondence and reports
- Analytical ability necessary to handle moderately complex administrative details, such as preparing special reports by combining data from several different sources
- Familiarity with electronic spreadsheets, databases and mail merge programs
- Commitment to Visit Anchorage programs and knowledge and belief in Anchorage products
- Assist Visitor Services Director as needed including Volunteer In-Service meetings
- Provide support to M&DS sales staff by compiling sales packets, new member kits and coordinating mailings
- Coordinate booths at Trade Shows and other events as needed
- Schedule and work with members on all Business Exchanges and assists in development and hosting of other Bureau events, including Annual Banquet, Open House and membership luncheons
- Work with Visitor Information Center Lead to fulfill and monitor Visit Anchorage material requests for community groups
- Provide companywide administrative support including Front Desk Receptionist duties on a rotation basis
- Other special projects duties as assigned, including data entry, event registration and ticket sales and management of concierge program
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
- These worker characteristics are normally acquired through completion of a high school education or equivalent. Tourism industry background not necessary, but detailed knowledge of Anchorage is critical
- Position requires a minimum of two (2) years of experience in customer service, working knowledge of database skills, spreadsheet experience and word processing merging, and keyboarding skills
- Ability and flexibility to handle scheduling multiple job sites and spontaneous/simultaneous work requirements
- Ability to obtain an Airport Badge
- Ability to work independently and exercise discretion, initiative, judgment and common sense to complete job responsibilities professionally and within destination marketing guidelines
- Demonstrate effective time management skills, organizational skills, self-motivation, flexibility, and ability to manage multiple projects
- Excellent written communication skills to compose edit and proof advertisements, copy, business correspondence, and reports
- Advanced computer skills with a major emphasis on file maintenance including working knowledge of MS Windows, MS Office 2013, database software, and other relevant software
- Working knowledge of, and ability to perform basic troubleshooting for, standard office equipment including, fax machines, phones, copier, and scanners
- Model the Visit Anchorage Organization Values in the performance of all job functions
- Work requires a valid Alaska driver’s license
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit for extended periods of time; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; to or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Work environment: The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified. The incumbent must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and demands and to seek supervisory assistance as appropriate.