Knik River Lodge is looking for a General Manager to run all aspects of its business. Just an hour from Anchorage, on the road system and close to schools and family facilities, the lodge and cabins are surrounded by the Chugach Mountains and overlook the Knik River Valley.
Our 22 cabins have a rustic charm, each with their own bathrooms and first-class amenities. Our main lodge has stunning views where you can sit back and relax with a beverage of your choice at our full-service bar or dine in the Raven’s Perch Restaurant (seating capacity 40) where you can enjoy Alaskan classics such as grilled salmon. Guests take part in many activities, particularly on the Knik Glacier, including dog sled rides/mushing, glamping, hiking, kayaking and iceberg tours. Our main lodging season runs between May and September 15th and caters to a mix of clientele including corporate groups, destination weddings, family reunions, and on-line, local, national and international travel management companies.
The General Manager plans, directs and manages all aspects of the business. This position is responsible for the overall guest and employee experience of KRL. The right candidate will have strong operational skills, fantastic management abilities, and a good business sense. Candidates should demonstrate expertise in a variety of hospitality practices. Must be a very hands-on individual with daily interaction with the guests and staff. The perfect candidate should also possess project management and development experience that will be called upon as additional cabins and other facilities are added to the property.
The ideal candidate is guest focused, extroverted, goal oriented, demonstrates sound judgment and has effective problem solving skills. If you have a strong lodging management background and enjoy being part of a small but growing guest lodge, this is the perfect job for you.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead, supervise and develop the performance of all lodge operations and departments including, but not limited to: administration, guest services, culinary, housekeeping, maintenance of helicopter and glacier operations. The General Manager should direct these activities with the goal of creating the highest possible level of guest satisfaction possible with cost-efficiences in mind. Responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units. Also directly supervises all employees.
- Has supervisory responsibility in accordance with company policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training associates; appraising, performance; rewarding and disciplining; addressing issues and resolving problems.
- Provide the vision, leadership and strategy to inspire your team to deliver exceptional service and drive financial success.
- Work with the owner to develop, implement and monitor a comprehensive sales and marketing plan that results in optimum, rate and occupancy for KRL; develop action plans to maximize occupancy as well as average rate to meet or exceed established budgetary guidelines for KRL.
- Work with our current resident managers to ensure the timely and accurate completion of financial statements and reports, and provide controls to ensure the proper handling and accounting for receipts/invoicing. accounting for lodge receipts/invoicing.
- Seasonal forecasting and planning of operating expenses to correspond to forecasted sales and costs. Review and approve all operating expenses.
- Coordinate capital improvement projects to maintain/upgrade quality standards and property image, and to protect and enhance the value of all lodge assets.
- Ensure policies and procedures are fully implemented in all departments, including safety, emergency guidelines, etc.
- Direct, manage train and counsel management staff and seasonal employees.
- Actively participate in sales presentations, property tours and guest/client meetings.
- Establish and oversee human resources to ensure a productive, participative and comfortable work environment for all employees while ensuring that all employment-related processes and documentation are following local, state and federal laws and regulations.
- Promote KRL in the community, industry, or trade associations.
- Confer with other managers and reviews activity / operating reports; directs preparation of directives to outline any policy, program or operational changes if so determined.
- Perform other tasks associated as necessary in order to achieve the financial performance and guest experience goals of the organization
- The position reports to the Owners.
- This position is full time exempt.
- General management experience within a similar quality of lodging establishment would be advantageous.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher is preferred, along with at least ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Highly motivated individual who is self-directed, with strong initiative and desire for achievement.
- Outstanding organizational, communication and leadership skills.
- Possess strong business acumen. Experience managing budgets, financial statements, and forecasting results.
- Team player who can multi-task; lead, drive and is customer service oriented.
- Must possess effective verbal and written English communications skills. Advanced knowledge of sales and hospitality principles and practices is expected.
- Previous international travel experience, or interaction with other cultures a plus.
- Salary (DOE)
- Potential for Housing
- Benefits Plan (Year-round)
- Meals (Seasonal)
- 29979 E Knik River Road
- Learn More: www.knikriverlodge.com
The selection team will begin reviewing applications immediately but there is no specific deadline to apply now.
Cover letters and resume documents should be consolidated into one uploaded document.
The individual selected for the role of General Manager will be employed by Knik River Lodge.
Knik River Lodge is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender, race, color, religious creed, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability, and/or protected veteran status.