This position serves as an essential link between the client and facility staff, coordinating all contracted and last-minute needs to assure the client receives the expected services.
- Inspect and assure that final event setup matches the function order and change sheet before client arrives.
- Meet and greet the client in person and on time during assigned schedule as on-the-spot event manager.
- Track change sheets for all events; be aware of last-minute changes; keep function order paperwork updated.
- Maintain and update digital signage, ensure all signage is correct including paper signage.
- Ensure efficient, effective, professional and respectful communication between all internal and external parties regarding the services we are to provide to the client.
- Manage event-related information in a concise, professional, and accurate manner, including post-event written reporting in our shared online Event Log for future reference.
- Decide issues needing a solution right there and then to make the client happy yet in accordance with company policies and interests and understanding of Departmental responsibilities.
- Always ask and/or inform the sales manager if and when there are issues for an event: the SM may have discussed the issue already, have the history. If not feasible to contact the sales manager, report asap via email so that the sales manager is fully up to date and won’t get caught off-guard by the client.
- Join pre-event meetings as deemed necessary by the event Sales Manager to discuss event needs.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of operating procedures of a conference center, convention center, hotel or similar event-focused operation.
- Able to work with modern electronic office practices including PC Windows applications.
- Skills in planning and assist with coordinating work schedules.
- Ability to work well under pressure, sometimes for extended periods of time.
- College or Vocational School degree preferred. Experience in a related field may substitute.
- Able to communicate effectively orally and in writing, in English.
- Able to anticipate and effectively deal with the large amount of details related to event execution.
- Electronic affinity helpful to work with signage systems, room lighting, sound and telecom.
- Willing and able to work highly non-standard schedule. The event Manager works largely outside standard business 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. weekday hours: very early mornings, late evenings and almost all weekends including all weekends in the slower summer season due to cruise business at the Egan Center. Flexibility is required as the schedule is purely event-driven and may include last-minute rescheduling to accommodate pop-up bookings. EM will be needed on certain Holidays to manage events such as Thanksgiving week conferences, New Year’s Eve parties and Cruise business over Memorial Day, July 4th and/or Labor Day.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must be able to work a flexible schedule, which will include weekends and holidays. Work hours may range from very early morning to late night. On rare occasion, must be able to work additional hours, weekends, overnight or extended stays, as business demands, with prior notice. Work is primarily indoors. Some outdoor work (such as snow removal and building maintenance) may be required. Environments may range from very warm to freezing. Work will be performed in many different areas of the Center and off-premise. Work will involve a considerable amount of walking throughout a 100,000 square foot facility, lifting, and other high-exertion activities. Potentially dangerous chemicals and equipment will be encountered daily during the course of work. May require lifting materials weighing up to 50 lbs. Must be able to work in a crowded, high-activity, high-demand environment. Flexibility is required, as to the ability to meet all requests upon demand. Duties require the use of considerable initiative, creativity, judgment, problem-solving, and working under minimal direction. Requires attention to detail, logical reasoning, ability to formulate ideas and opinions, ability to handle multiple priorities, ability to anticipate needs of the company, ability to implement short- and long-term solutions to needs, ability to plan and implement projects, ability to resolve customer service issues. Requires working under deadlines or pressure, dealing with difficult people or situations involving complex issues, and establishing and maintaining cooperative and productive work relationships. Must have outgoing, positive attitude in dealing with clientele and employees.
Email Resume to Phyllis@anchorageconventioncenters.com or fax (907)644-2842. No phone calls please.