The Director of Education will be responsible for developing collaborative relationships with key individuals, regulatory agencies and institutions to expand and/or enhance existing education programs and develop and implement new educational programs at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center (AWCC). Program development and/or enhancements could include internship programs with institutions within the state of Alaska at a minimum, with the long-term goal of collaboration with institutions outside the state. A distance learning program will be developed to reach out to Alaskan communities in remote areas of the state. Training programs will be developed for and rolled out to relevant staff. The Director will work closely with the Curator to ensure the educational animals are ready for safe public presentations. The Director will work closely with Management, Marketing, Admissions and Animal Care staff to ensure scheduling and payment of programs is clearly communicated.
Duties/Responsibilities (including but not limited to)
- Leads the Education Department in the development and implementation of diverse education programs for local and remote audiences, in accordance with AWCC’s strategic plan.
- Works closely with the Executive Director to ensure effective and clear communication concerning Program implementation with the Board of Directors, AWCC department managers and staff.
- Serves as a member of the Senior Leadership Team.
- Develops and monitors annual department budget.
- Hires, trains and supervises education department staff and interns.
- Works closely with staff to develop exhibition displays/brochures.
- Works with the Marketing Manager and the Development Director on program publicity and development of all printed and online education materials, including brochures, guides, worksheets, and flyers.
- Develops long-distance learning opportunities that may include interactive multi-media presentations.
- Leads outreach and development opportunities for staff through classes and educational activities and one-on-one training.
- Develops and oversees volunteer programs and opportunities.
- Supports implementation of a strong commitment to teamwork and communication within the AWCC, leading by example as a member of the Leadership Team.
- Builds and maintains collaborative relationships with key individuals, regulatory agencies and institutions.
- Ability to plan, conceptualize, organize, motivate and direct others in a team environment in the achievement of the AWCC’s goals and objectives.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products including excel, word, outlook, powerpoint and publisher.
- Strong skills in program management and the ability to manage budgets and personnel.
- Ability to develop and implement education programs to diverse audiences.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, both written and oral.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to work outdoors in extreme wind, temperature, rain and winter conditions.
- Must have at least 5 years’ experience in development and implementation of education programs.
- BA or BS in Education, Natural Resources or equivalent.
- Must have Valid Driver's license with an acceptable driving record.
- Must be able to pass a background check.
- Must work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends, and holidays.
To apply send cover letter, resume and references to email@example.com.