In accordance with Visit Anchorage’s mission, this position works under the direct supervision of the Visitor Services Director to provide information regarding Visit Anchorage member services, accommodations and products to visitors. Weekend, weekday, and year round hours available. 16 hrs + opportunity for additional hours in the summer only.
To apply, download and complete the application and send with your resume and cover letter to Brenda Carlson by email at email@example.com or mail to 524 West Fourth Avenue, Anchorage, Alaska 99501.
Essential Job Functions:
- Willingness to provide exemplary customer service to visitors and co-workers.
- Willingness to seek answers to non-routine, difficult questions (i.e. make phone calls, research answers, ask co-workers for assistance, seek answers from alternative sources).
- Demonstrate keen familiarity with member businesses, community happenings, and reference and resource sources available to VIC personnel, such as Visit Anchorage’s Visitor Guide, Membership Directory, The Milepost, Ferry Schedules, etc.
- Communicate easily with visitors, discerning questions, concerns and requests in person and on the phone.
- Maintain team atmosphere with co-workers and supervisors, regardless of age including supporting volunteers or other staff members with assistance upon request. Includes educating and training new volunteers or staff through shadowing to learn from more experienced workers.
- Exhibit pleasant, friendly attitude and manner with visitors, co-workers and supervisors.
- Attend monthly VIC in-services and staff meetings.
- Work assigned schedule as published by supervisor.
- Participate in retail aspects of selling merchandise.
- Maintain brochures by auditing racks and drawers, ordering as needed, and stocking incoming brochures.
- Follow Beginning and End of Shift checklist including opening and/or closing brochure center and/or log cabin including locking doors and setting alarm. Light cleaning to include wiping down counters, phones and dusting brochure racks. Keep counters organized and neat.
- Assist with tasks as requested by supervisor. Stock VICs and shelves with visitor guides, maps and other materials as needed. Anticipate shortages of materials and add needed item to order list. Restock and make copies of flyer handouts as needed.
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
- Ability to hear, understand and effectively communicate (verbally and in writing) in English. Additional languages helpful, but not required.
- Good interpersonal communication and public speaking skills with the ability to present a positive image to our visitors and to articulate information, in person and by phone.
- Ability to handle stressful situations involving visitors. Confident but knowing when to seek assistance with questions or problems that arise.
- Ability to demonstrate working knowledge of existing and new Visit Anchorage members.
- Ability to demonstrate working knowledge of current events in Anchorage and surrounding areas.
- Computer skills to include communication via email and internet research.
- Must have cash handling skills and computer knowledge in order to run credit card transactions.
- General knowledge of Visit Anchorage’s mission and departments.
- These employee characteristics are normally acquired through completion of a high school education or equivalent, and on-the-job training in Visit Anchorage policies, procedures and membership.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and skills required of VIC Staff.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, use hands to handle, reach with hands and arms, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified. The incumbent must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and demands and to seek supervisory assistance as appropriate.